Monday, March 2, 2009

on reading Montaigne

Well i can only see that he was called the father of the essay because of the things he wrote after 'Of Books'. I found 'Of Books" to be very boring, therfore difficult to get through. In "Of Books" i am not sure i have ever read anything else where "I" was used so much, which just made me think he is full of himself. I also found it difficult to understand his point, maybe it was do to me being distracted by all the "I's". I did however like this perticular sentence, "Knowledge and truth can lodge in us without judgment, and judgment also without them."I found that concept very intriguing for some reason. Just as he said if a book wearies him he picks up another, i find myself wanting to do the same when it comes to this essay. When i am older i shall try to read it again and by then maybe i'll be able to.
"Of a Monstrous Child" altough short i found his discription of the child to be very good since i could imagine it in my mind and the sorrow it invoked in me for that child. I loved how the story of the deformed child lead into the point he was trying to get across which i think he very elequently stated in the last two paragraphs. I perticularly love the use and flow of the words in the last two paragraphs.
"On Some Verses of Virgil" the first four to five paragraphs i found very intertaining and made me fell sorry for him when he is talking about how he is old now. The first two paragraphs would be my favorites though. After that i lost interest and was not able to get very far. I will try to finish it someother time perhaps.

No comments:

Post a Comment