Monday, January 12, 2009

about writing

Critical writing to me is just not my "cup of tea" if you know what I mean. If you enjoy reading those kinds of works more power to you. After our last class it only confirmed for me the fact that I still do not like them. I do enjoy learning about the different critical writers history, but that is as far as I go to enjoying critical writing. Like the one author we discussed who found the need to write about his toilet habits was funny to hear about, but not something I would particularly enjoy having to read in depth about. I'm not sure who would really want to read that actually.

My "cup of tea" is anything from biographical to fantasy writings and of course the classics. I admit that I do tend to read fantasy type books more than anything else, but their not those fantasy novels you find hidden in your grandmas closet. I will admit it that I love the Harry Potter books that is what I mean when I say fantasy books. The kind of books on my book shelf can give you the best idea of what kind of type of writings I enjoy the most. In my room I have the Twilight series, Dickens A Tale of Two Cities, a biography of Queen Elisabeth, and Jane Austins Emma. I love books that tell a good story and have great characters. Without great characters there is no story no matter how good the concept for that story may be. Jane Austin created some of the best and well loved characters in literature. That to me is what good writing is about, it has to make you fall in love with the characters and the stories. It has to make you stay interested even if you already know what the outcome will be like in the case of biographies. So all in all critical writing may serve a purpose but I have yet to understand that purpose.

No comments:

Post a Comment